Monday 21 March 2016

Cheese Spinach Corn Sandwich

Not being a very big fan of restaurant food, meals at my place usually spring out from our kitchen.
The peeling, chopping, sauteing followed by all the emanating flavors, tingle up the olfactory nerves which in turn set the taste buds drooling. Ahh! The process itself acts like an appetizer :D - till the table is set and food is served :D !

It was one of those days when due to unavoidable circumstances the day goes by and in comes lunch/dinner hour... and what follows is - Mr.Tummy takes complete control !
After a day spent in packing followed by an hour's drive, I found myself hungry and parched at the airport. Over an hour left for check-in, I decided to grab a breath before boarding. Lugging my suitcase, I reached over to the nearest coffee shop in sight - the famous Coffee Cafe Day or better known as CCD.

Settled in the outdoor seating area, for the first time since the past 10 hours, I took an extra long and relaxed whiff of fresh air. I was comfortable.
Within the next few minutes, I was served my order - Cold Coffee (hoping it would refresh) and a Spinach N Corn Cheese Sandwich ( hunger reliever, I hoped) . I sunk my fangs in, whilst advising my taste bulb to fuse off, for I had no expectation whatsoever.

For all I knew, it was surely my day, at least as far as this sandwich was concerned - it turned out to be amazing !! Maybe the relaxed ambience added to the taste, perhaps it was the hunger or could be the tiredness - whatever it was, it left my gustatory cells yearning for more.
I am certain, time permitting, who knows, probably I would be wolfing down a second one too :D.

And, the journey saw an impatient passenger, eager to get down, eager to get home and eager to make her own version of a healthy Spinach N Corn Cheese Sandwich !

Cheese Spinach Corn Sandwich

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 Bunch Spinach Leaves/ Palak
  • 3 Tbspn Corn Kernels
  • 1 Tbspn Garlic, minced
  • 1 Medium Onion, minced
  • A dash of Nutmeg
  • Butter
  • Bread Slices
  • Salt, as per taste
  • Cheese, Mozarella or Cheddar, as per requirement
METHOD
  • Boil the corn kernels. Strain out the water and keep aside.
  • Blanch the spinach, i.e. put the leaves in boiling water for about a minute and then transfer into cold water. Then strain out the water. Blend the leaves into a coarse puree.
  • Heat butter in a pan. Add minced garlic and onion. Add salt and saute.
  • As it starts browning, add the pureed spinach and mix well. Saute till almost 50% moisture is evaporated.
  • Add the corn kernels. Mix well and saute till the mix is almost dry. Switch off flame.
  • Spread butter on bread slices.
  • Apply a thick layer of the spinach corn mix. Sprinkle cheese on top. Add a dash of nutmeg.
  • Grill the slices for around a couple of minutes or till the cheese melts.
  • Let it cool. And, now you can sink your pearly whites too.
Boil the corn kernels
Blanch the spinach
Heat butter in a pan. Add minced garlic and onion. Add salt and saute.
As it starts browning, add the pureed spinach and mix well.
As it starts browning, add the pureed spinach and mix well.
Spread butter on bread slices.
Apply a thick layer of the spinach corn mix. 
Sprinkle cheese on top. 
Add a dash of nutmeg.
Grill the slices for around a couple of minutes or till the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Banana Pancake (Eggless)

INGREDIENTS 1/2 Cup Flour 2 Ripe Bananas, mashed 1/2 Cup Milk 1 Tbsp Sugar (or increase as per taste) A pinch of baking powder A ...